- Workdays: The December, 2014 thru March, 2015 schedule is posted.
- Solstice Bonfire: The Somme Woods Solstice Bonfire and celebration is at Sunday December 21st at 2pm.
- Wild Things: The 6th biennial Wild Things Conference is January 31, 2015 from 8am – 5pm.
- News: Chicago Tonight on WTTW features our own Steve Packard describing the restoration work at Somme. Read about other current news at Somme Prairie Grove.
- Guides: The Self-guided tours are for anyone who would like to learn about the flora and fauna. The Field seminars teach ecological restoration.
This web site introduces you to a wild and precious place that you can visit in the real world. Somme Prairie Grove is a 90-acre preserve in Northbrook, Illinois. It owes its survival to caring visitors, advocates, and volunteers. So, welcome!
To enhance your experience, there are many guides that you may carry with you during a walk around the site. You'll see rare ancient savanna, prairie, woodland, and ephemeral ponds the natural habitats for hundreds of species of endangered, rare or uncommon plants and animals. Most of the wildflowers and grasses that you’ll see are covered in the guides. Also see Breeding Birds and Trees and Shrubs for other species that may be found at Somme Prairie Grove.;
For a virtual tour of the preserve and a hint of the richness that you can experience, please peruse photo galleries of the preserve.
Somme Prairie Grove is owned by the Forest Preserve District of Cook County. It is managed by FPD staff and volunteer stewards.